KGNU Fund Drive Music Specials - Spring 2021
2021 Spring Fund Drive Music Specials
We have several audible treats coming up during our Spring Fund Drive, March 6-14. Don't miss out on these one-of-a-kind specials you can only hear from the KGNU DJs.
- Saturday, March 6 1:00 PM: International Women’s Day Tribute, with Donovan Makha - Reggae Bloodlines - Annual celebration of Women in Reggae ahead of International Women’s Day (March 8)
- Saturday, March 6 7:00 PM: Low End Theory Special, with Bob Cosmo - Sound Lab - Featuring artists from Low End Theory, a weekly experimental hip hop and electronic music club night that took place every Wednesday from 2006 to 2018 at The Airliner in Lincoln Heights, Los Angeles, California.
- Sunday, March 7 9:00 AM: Levon Helm and The Band Special, with Leland Rucker & Pete Miesel - Roots & Branches - Celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Band's album "Stage Fright" and a new biography of Levon Helm, join us for music from different periods of Levon Helm's life and The Band and discussion of their influence.
- Monday, March 8 9:30 AM: International Women’s Day/Women’s History Month Tribute, with Indra Raj - Morning Sound Alternative - Celebrating women in music for International Women’s Day and Women’s History Month.
- Monday, March 8 12:00 PM: The History of Independent Record Labels, with Cal Huss - Afternoon Sound Alternative - An exploration of some of the most influential independent records labels throughout music history.
- Tuesday, March 9 9:30 AM: Songs about Real People, with Ginger Perry - Morning Sound Alternative - Songs based on the stories of real life people.
- Tuesday, March 9 12:00 PM: Chronology of Dance, with Falling Short - Afternoon Sound Alternative - A journey through the rich history of dancefloor culture from 1978 to the present.
- Tuesday, March 9 7:00 PM: Mono Verde, with Indra Raj - Kabaret - A special set from local Latin Reggae collective Mono Verde.
- Wednesday, March 10 9:30 AM: Super Groups, with Doug Gertner - Morning Sound Alternative - A deep dive into classic, recent, lesser-known, and dream team super groups in music.
- Wednesday, March 10 12:00 PM: Frank Zappa Special, with Sam Fuqua and Paul Epstein - Afternoon Sound Alternative - Paul Epstein of Twist & Shout Records joins KGNU for a special show featuring rare and live cuts from the legendary Frank Zappa.
- Wednesday, March 10 8:00 PM: Women Around the World, with EC - Musica Mundi - Hear voices of women performers all around the world.
- Thursday, March 11 9:30 AM: Artists We Lost in the Pandemic, with Neil Smart - Morning Sound Alternative - A musical celebration in remembrance of artists we lost during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Thursday, March 11 12:00 PM: Womenspiration, with Carrie Marks and Joel Davis - Afternoon Sound Alternative - A Women’s History Month tribute featuring songs with women’s names in the title.
- Thursday, March 11 7:00 PM: Women in Folk Music, with Ginger Perry - HWY 322 - Featuring the important contributions of women to the folk music genre, in celebration of Women’s History Month.
- Thursday, March 11 8:00 PM: Pioneering Women in Ragtime, with Jack Rummel - Ragtime America - An exploration of the pioneering women pianists in the Ragtime genre, in celebration of Women’s History Month.
- Saturday, March 13 7:00 PM: Grateful Dead Special, with Chris O'Riley and Paul Epstein - KGNU biannual 5-hour celebration of live performances by the legendary Grateful Dead.
- Sunday, March 14 9:00 AM: History of Rock in Boulder, with Leland Rucker and Rick Roberts - An exploration of the history of rock & roll in Boulder, CO.