KGNU Fund Drive Music Specials - Fall 2022
2022 Fall Fund Drive Music Specials
We have several audible treats coming up during our Fall Fund Drive, October 8 -16. Don't miss out on these one-of-a-kind specials you can only hear from the KGNU DJs.
- Saturday, October 8 9:00 PM: Electrospective: the Many Sub-Genres of Electronic Music, with Dave Alex, E23, and DJ Aphonix - Electronic Air - Confused by all the different genres in Electronic music these days? Join KGNU's Electronic Air crew for an exploration of the different sub-genres across Electronic music.
- Sunday, October 9 9:00 AM: Arhoolie Records Special, with Pete Miesel - Roots and Branches - Since 1960 Arhoolie Records has exposed the wider public to important regional musics championing the artistry of such artists as Lightnin’ Hopkins, Mance Lipscomb, BeauSoleil, Flaco Jiménez, and others. Many regard it as one of the most important roots record label of the last sixty years.
- Monday, October 10 9:30 AM: Indigenous Peoples' Day Special, with Ann Cantelow - Morning Sound Alternative - Featuring music by Indigenous populations in celebration of Indigenous Peoples' Day.
- Tuesday, October 11 9:30 AM: Mavis Staples Special, with Ginger Perry & Sam Fuqua - Morning Sound Alternative - An exploration of Mavis Staples' music, the legendary American rhythm and blues and gospel singer, actress, and civil rights activist.
- Tuesday, October 11 12:00 PM: My Favorite Things, with Doug Gertner - Afternoon Sound Alternative - Enjoy DJ Doug Gertner's favorite picks, alongside some favorite records played by KGNU DJs over the years.
- Tuesday, October 11 7:00 PM: Jayme Stone Studio Session, with Rebekah Hartman - Kabaret - Jayme Stone is a Folk/Americana musician, composer, instigator, producer, and educator - performing live in KGNU Kabaret studio.
- Wednesday, October 12 9:30 AM: Bruce Cockburn Special, with Uncle Jeff - Morning Sound Alternative - Featuring the early works of Canadian guitar artist Bruce Cockburn.
- Thursday, October 13 9:30 AM: They All Sang Jazz: Great Women Vocalists, with Sam Fuqua - Morning Sound Alternative - A music tribute in honor of the great women jazz vocalists.
- Thursday, October 13 12:00 PM: Best music of the year... so far!, with Iris Berkeley - Afternoon Sound Alternative - Review the best and latest independent new releases from 2022, so far!
- Thursday, October 13 7:00 PM: Through His Own Eyes: The Early Works of Bob Dylan, with Ginger Perry - HWY 322 - A closer look at the early works of Bob Dylan.
- Thursday, October 13 8:00 PM: Jelly Roll Morton Special, with Jack Rummel - Ragtime America - A special focused on the work of Ferdinand Joseph LaMothe, known professionally as Jelly Roll Morton - an American ragtime and jazz pianist, bandleader, and composer.
- Friday, October 14 12:00 PM: A History of Colorado Music, with Andy Zicklin - Afternoon Sound Alternative - An exploration of the History of Colorado music.
- Friday, October 14 6:00 PM: Blues Pianists, with Joanne Cole - Blues Legacy - Explore the depth and range of blues piano.
- Friday, October 14 9:00 PM: George Clinton Special, with Patrick Mendoza - Dusty Grooves - You want the funk. We got the funk! Step down the mothership and join us as we celebrate George Clinton, featuring original recordings, covers, funky spin offs and more.
- Saturday, October 15 7:00 PM: Grateful Dead Rare Tapes Special, with Chris O'Riley and Paul Epstein - KGNU biannual 5-hour celebration of live performances by the legendary Grateful Dead.